[nycbug-talk] g4u on proliant 360 g4 scsi raid 1

pete wright nomadlogic
Tue Jun 7 18:02:51 EDT 2005

On 6/7/05, Jesse Callaway <jesse at theholymountain.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 June 2005 01:09 pm, Steve Rieger says:
> > hi all
> > need a favor
> >
> > i have 14 proliant 360's that i want to clone, but g4u that i am
> > pulling off the site does not pick up the raid array (raid 1) and since
> > i do not have netbsd running am wondering if any of you compiled g4u
> > with all the bells and whistles instead of the stripped down version
> > that i have.
> >

> > here is my hw stuff (dmesg)
> >

> > thanx
>
> aw heck, just dd the disks. Boot off of a CD or what have you and go to town.
> It takes a while, but I don't see how the raid is going to get cloned
> otherwise w/o a major investigation. This should work unless the clones are
> far away from each other.

what's nice about programs like udpcast is that you can clone all 14
of these systems at once (assuming it's hardware RAID already built in
the BIOS) via UPD multicast packets.  So the network bandwidth needed
should not increase if you have one machine many on your same subnet.
if you where going to go the dd route, you would have to dd each
disk/array in serial...or eat up a *ton* of bandwidth if you wanted to
do more than a couple at a time.

-p

--
~~o0OO0o~~