[nycbug-talk] Forbes Magazine on Linux and the BSDs. . .

Michael Shalayeff mickey
Fri Jun 17 10:43:45 EDT 2005

Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from Dan Langille:
> On 17 Jun 2005 at 10:11, Michael Shalayeff wrote:
>
> > Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from Jan Schaumann:
> > -- Start of PGP signed section.

> > > I'm not so sure if this is really such great publicity.  In my
> > > experience, people who do not already know (in some detail) about BSD
> > > are easily turned off by overly aggressive and deragotive remarks
> > > regarding other OS.
> >
> > yeah right.
> > let's just close the eyes and pretend that shit is honey.
> > kamon. linux IS rediculous.
>
> It's not what you say, it is how you say it.  In my advocacy, I tend
> to point out the benefits of what I advocate, instead of [what I see
> to be] the deficiences of the 'competition'.

if you mean deficiences of the _competitor_ than
yes that's what exactly the article sez -- it's deficient.

what is so wrong that is said there?
it is a very politely expressed opinion -- linux is crap.
is it not? would you prefer a nicer definition of "retarded"
instead?

do you honestly believe that linux is a great piece of software?

> > > It would be easy for anybody to get the impression that _all_ BSD
> > > developers and -users are equally aggressive and insulting, and I for
> > > one would rather not be thrown into that melting pot.
> > >
> > > In general, I prefer *BSD to present itself in a friendly, open and
> > > mature matter that emphasizes it's strength, but doesn't insult or
> > > ridicule similar or competing products.
> >
> > yes. and how many things in the world has happened
> > because people were nice? perhaps only tripper...
>
> Lots of things have happened to me.  Most of them good.

perhaps when you tried the opposite you were not nice (:

cu

--
    paranoic mickey       (my employers have changed but, the name has remained)