[nycbug-talk] MSNBC on the decline of technology jobs

Michael Shalayeff mickey
Mon Jun 20 15:10:40 EDT 2005

Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from George R.:
> Michael Shalayeff wrote:
> > Making, drinking tea and reading an opus magnum from George R.:
> > [Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> >
> >>Interesting read. . .
> >>
> >>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8280452/
> >>
> >>I myself have been through the glares of the pre-dot com age from upper
> >>management ("ew, one of *those* weirdos"), through the 'glories' of the
> >>late 1990's, to the mixed picture of today, which I think is overall
> >>better a better picture for technology people than many in the press are
> >>portraying.
> >

> > yeah but then they talk about java and c++...
> > is that really the way of the future?
>
> maybe not the future, but there's certainly more advertised jobs out
> there for c++ and java versus for C. . . unless you consider volunteer
> efforts.  ;-'

i have an impression that poor quality is exactly the problem.
people come to new jobs they see all the horrible code and they
can only tolerate that for say a year then they leave and that
keeps a lot of jobs open all the time and creates the impression
of market dominance...

> >>Do others think there is longeivity in technology?  Is anyone taking on
> >>of those $99 bartender training courses to prepare for the worst?
> >>(although certainly automation and outsourcing have put bartenders in
> >>their sights. . .)
> >

> > did you mention bartender courses just because his name is mo ? (:
>
> that's what i meant by outsourcing bartender jobs. . . all seem to be
> going to mo. . . and i'm not on his good side this month.

but outsourcing bartender jobs is good then -- only have to make your
way to the bar and there -- have a beer (:

cu

--
    paranoic mickey       (my employers have changed but, the name has remained)