[nycbug-talk] MSNBC on the decline of technology jobs

Isaac Levy ike
Tue Jun 21 20:46:26 EDT 2005

Hey All,

Interesting thread,

On Jun 20, 2005, at 4:13 PM, Gordon Smith wrote:

> > people come to new jobs they see all the horrible code and they
> > can only tolerate that for say a year then they leave and that
> > keeps a lot of jobs open all the time and creates the impression
> > of market dominance...
>
> True. In times of high turnover, quality suffers.

Furiously, yes.

> There's also the other side of the coin - what about the people who
> are responsible for the lack of quality?? A lot of mediocre people
> tried to jump onto the "gravy train" when technologists were being
> paid more. ?They need to be weeded out, and that's a big part of what
> has been happening in the technology workforce since Y2K. ?The sad
> truth is that good and talented people have suffered as well as the
> charlatans.

Actually, Gordon, while I agree with you that a *lot* of mediocre
people jumped into the fray in the late 90's, (dot-com'ers mostly), but
I wanted to state state that I've worked on salvaging software projects
in the last 5 years that suffered not because of weak original
developers, but from business process that leads to failing systems.

A couple of *bad* directives that often come from the business side:

- Code, Code, Code- don't take *any* time to design, plan, or document

- (conversely), over-Design ad-nauseum, documented like mad for Mgmt.
and Investors
   (then slap something together last minute to fit into the reqs.)

- Cost/Corner cutting decisions coming from un-technical
managers/directors
   - this is EXTREMELY common for developers to face, making software in
directions
     they KNOW (and often warn) will fail, based on improper mgmt. cost
cutting

- Disinformation from vendors, the 'Info-World' and 'CNet' syndrome,
leading
   Managers/Decision Makers to push developers in insane (yet trendy)
directions

- A generally not focusing on, (or even defining) the problems at hand,
   and solving them by whatever means necessary.

- Making Cheap patches to fix other cheap patches

--
With that, I'm just wanting to state that not *all* bad software comes
from bad developers- and in the last 5 or so years, there's been a lot

This isn't to say that developers can't make bad software too, based on
similar pitfalls, but just wanted to throw in my .02? that it's not
always a developer's fault.  The economies and ecosystems that make a
piece of software manifest are complex...

Best,
.ike