[nycbug-talk] MSNBC on the decline of technology jobs

alex at pilosoft.com alex
Tue Jun 21 21:29:41 EDT 2005

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Isaac Levy wrote:

> Quantitively, I believe your sentiment is wrong- I've seen extremely
> talented techs get the axe, while really brain-dead XYZ-certified people
> retain their jobs right next to them.
That happens. However, the clued people will get a new job fairly quickly,
and XYZ-certified won't, if they get axed.

> Subjectively, what about the young people who are trying to get more
> experience with UNIX/tech?  Who is to say who is and is not supposed to
> 'be in this industry in the first place'?  You run a company, you hire
> who you want- you have your own business needs, that's your domain.
> However you can't possibly blanket the entire tech/net industry as
> though you understand all contexts, needs, and talents. Just because I
> don't understand where someone is coming from doesn't mean they don't
> belong in the industry.
I do. If someone went into computers just for money and doesn't have love
or understanding of technology, they don't belong in this industry.

There were way too many schools in 1995-1999 that would teach you
powerbuilder/sybase/oracle/vb/etc in 3 weeks, give you phony experience
and allow you to make 45k$ off the bat. Most of people who did that really
don't belong in the industry, as they have absolutely no clue.

> I'm not blindly saying everyone is on the same level here, but I am
> saying everyone is valuable- and I'd like to see more room for new
> people to come into the industry- bringing fresh views, solutions,
> input- less we all get stale, and dig our 'industry' a grave with
> ingrown ideas and culture.
No, not everyone is valuable. Just ask Mickey! :)

-alex