[nycbug-talk] newbie: ports into a jail

Marc Spitzer mspitzer
Thu Jun 23 12:04:03 EDT 2005

On 6/23/05, Marco Scoffier <marco at metm.org> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Sorry if this has been covered.  For some reason I am not coming across
> a clear answer.  I am setting up a jail to run a slashcode server (lots
> of ports need to be installed including mysql, apache, perl modules).
>
> I would like to install these ports in the jail.  Do I have to cvsup a
> whole ports tree into the jail (thus having 2 ports trees, and gcc etc
> in the jail) or can I use the host environment's ports tree and:

umm yes and no, in my experience.  Most ports will install from a pkg,
some won't.

>   make DESTDIR=/jails/192.168.1.12/usr/local/ install

not sure how this would interacr with /var/db/pkg

> Thought I would ask before making a mess of things especially the
> dependencies.

If you have a full os avalable in your jail then just install the
ports tree and make your packages and be done with it.  You can always
remove ports when you are done.

marc