[nycbug-talk] newbie: ports into a jail

Marco Scoffier marco
Thu Jun 23 12:27:04 EDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 12:20:55PM -0400, Dru wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, pete wright wrote:
>
>>>If you have a full os avalable in your jail then just install the
>>>ports tree and make your packages and be done with it.  You can always
>>>remove ports when you are done.
>>>

>>also, I would check out Dru's BSDHacks book.  There is a section in
>>there on installing a Port w/o a port tree which seems ideally suited
>>for a jail environment.  I think it's hack #82.
>

>Since that hack, I've discovered porteasy which I now prefer. I gave a
>how-to on keeping a system up-to-date with minimal stuff installed at
>meetBSD in Poland (sorry, didn't get into jails in this how-to). If NYCBUG
>is interested in hosting the PDF, I can send it for inclusion in the
>Library. Just tell me who to send the attachment to.

Wow,  that sounds perfect Dru.  Installing porteasy right now.
The whole point of using ports was to keep the system up-to-date, even
the jails.

I think that the prefered method for getting docs into the library is to
use the submission form on the website then it gets put into the right
place for inclusion into the library, and everyone is happy.

Thanks,

--
Marco