[nycbug-talk] need help asap, will pay, ms vpn client

Jesse Callaway jesse
Tue Mar 1 21:38:02 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 08:45:28PM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 08:35:17PM -0500, marco at metm.org wrote:
> >I hate fxxxing mixed OS vpn setups.
> >All I can say is I've been there, more undocumented incompatible crap
> >than you can shake a stick at.  I would love for someone to prove me
> >wrong and that in fact I am the dummy who just did not understand.
>

> which is a great segue,
>
> I'm thinking the problem has been client firewalls. And the solution is
> to replace them with linksys vpn firewalls
>
>  client - linksys vpn - internet - vpn linksys - private lan
>
> which should leave the least room for error, easiest to setup and
> support. comments? "of course you idiot" variety welcome.
>
> // George

of course, I thought you were talking about IPSEC enabled firewall/gateways. Yes. Once you do that the problem will be a non-issue. You just "do it" on the MS side, lordy lordy. Were you leaving the IPSEC ports completely open? Where did they forward to? What about NAT? Yeah, once you have these guys up facing the outside it should be no problem.

I've done it w/o problems when you have the VPN device sitting at the edge. Otherwise you will have to invest some time.

-jesse