[nycbug-talk] mailing list protocol

Bob Ippolito bob
Wed Mar 9 15:28:04 EST 2005

On Mar 9, 2005, at 3:01 PM, Dan Langille wrote:

> On 9 Mar 2005 at 14:49, George Georgalis wrote:
>
>> I don't want to drop posts to from the list, I just don't want
>> duplicates of list conversations I participate in. Nor will I get
>> wrapped
>> up in a debate about it, but I would like to point out there hasn't
>> been
>> a reason posted why duplicates should be sent, let alone a good
>> reason,
>> only that it's what all the lemmings do.
>
> Well, if you want discussion, don't start by calling us lemmings.
>
> People wiser than us decided that's it's a good way to run a list. I
> happen to agree.  But any reasons I give you will be dismissed with
> "but you can do it this way".
>
> Technical and personal solutions exist for both camps.

Well here are some use cases for the duplicate messages:

If the poster is not subscribed to the list, if we allow that, then
they'll receive replies a whole lot faster than never.

If you want to involve an unsubscribed third party (possibly even
another list) in the conversation, you can do that.

If the list or mail server is borked, like sourceforge's tends to be,
then you may receive direct replies hours or days sooner than you'd get
one from the list, which allows the conversation to continue despite
technical issues.

Many (most?) people are used to it.

It follows the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle.

-bob