[nycbug-talk] Sata install question

George Georgalis george
Wed Mar 9 15:52:22 EST 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 03:47:14PM -0500, steverieger wrote:
>Can anyone help me with instructions on how to install fbsd on
>my Prostar 9096? The install seems not to see my hard drive. I am
>getting a 'disk read error, sector 295275' message. I know that in
>installing windows that I must create a diskette driver with the
>Promise SATA378 TX2plus in order for windows to recognize the hard
>drive, so I believe a similar case is needed for installing
>Unix/Linux. I have attempted to install several distributions of
>Unix/Linux and all have failed. Please, I would appreciate any help
>available.

That sounds like a bad disk... do you have another sata drive you can
try in the controller? My experience is sata generally emulates/operates
under the ATA protocol for BSD. But some controllers will require a
specific scsi driver, don't know if this is one of those.

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org