[nycbug-talk] a project? ChipSetD

G. Rosamond george
Thu Mar 10 15:55:36 EST 2005

On Mar 10, 2005, at 2:46 PM, G. Rosamond wrote:

> A major issue with getting hardware for all the BSDs is hardware
> compatibility.  Sure, you could see the supported chipsets, but the
> manufacturers almost treat it as a secret what chipset is in what
> hardware.
>
> This came up this morning on OpenBSD-misc, when someone was inquiring
> about supported hardware.
>
> Now, certainly our awesome dmesgd application
> (http://nycbug.org/index.php?NAV=dmesgd) goes part of the way on this,
> but I have an idea for another project.
>
> What if we created something of an online grid which would list
> chipsets to actual retail hardware.  I know it sounds like an enormous
> project, but if we could at least start the process, for each of the
> BSDs, of course, and have a publicly contributed and NYC*BUG
> administered application, it could be a start.

<snip me>

I've had a few discussions offlist, and Mickey (who gave the meeting
the other night) noted that it's listed in the OBSD man pages.  And
yes, I know this is the case with FreeBSD also.  But neither of these
lists is comprehensive, at least referring to the NIC-related man
pages.  We're looking to provide a large comprehensive list that would
cover all the projects for a limit-less pieces of hardware.

This list could certainly function as a recipe book for admins or for
vendors creating boxes for sale as "BSD compatible."

Other thoughts on this?  It would be a perfect complement to dmesgd,
IMHO.

George