[nycbug-talk] serial remote access hardware recommendations

Charles Sprickman spork
Mon Mar 14 18:15:16 EST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, pete wright wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:29:04 -0500 (EST), Dru <dlavigne6 at sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Any recommendations for serial remote access hardware for a FreeBSD 5.2
>> box at a remote colo? They don't provide serial hardware and charge a
>> service call when we can't get in over the network...
>>

> Hi Dru,
>     There is a company that makes a pic card that you can put in a
> box and it allows you to ssh to the card then from there get a secure
> serial connection to the server.  Here's the link:
>
> http://www.realweasel.com/intro.html
>
> I too would be interested in hearing any other options, other than
> having two boxes connected via serial cable...

Digi has a few tiny terminal servers that support SSH:

http://www.digi.com/products/externaldeviceservers/portserverts1mei.jsp

That's a 1-port model, there's also 2 and 4 port models that are very
small.

Charles