[nycbug-talk] Two nic cards, separate vlans

Okan Demirmen okan
Mon Mar 14 22:47:29 EST 2005

On Mon 2005.03.14 at 22:17 -0500, Steve Rieger wrote:
> i meant,
> i have a box with two nic's, can i put i know that i can put sepereate ips one for each card, but my question is. can i make it that these two i[p's are on different vlans. ie
>
> nic1    -   192.168.1.19
> nic2   -    10.20.2.19
>

> they have different gw's (of course)
>

> if so how do i go about doing this. i have them assigned but the default route is different for each ip. hence my question

maybe you can explain what you are trying to accomplish in the end.

as for assigning different 2 IP's, in different subnets (as you
have above), to 2 different interfaces, sure. as for different
vlans, yes. for simplicity, think of a broadcast domain (subnet)
and a vlan as the same thing. you can do many other things, but i
think this is what you mean.

now that you have 2 networks on 2 interfaces, this is where my
question comes into play. which interface is for what? you can't
have multiple default gateways (or any routes) unless you are
thinking about per packet load balancing. i deleted your first post
so i don't know what OS you are running, but multipathing isn't
supported everywhere. now, you can have different weights on the
routes, but then again my first question: what is the end goal?
there are of course tons more options and things one *can* do, but
we need some more info ;)

cheers,
okan

--