[nycbug-talk] Two nic cards, separate vlans

steverieger steve
Tue Mar 15 10:50:04 EST 2005

On 3/14/05 10:47 PM, "Okan Demirmen" <okan at demirmen.com> wrote:

> On Mon 2005.03.14 at 22:17 -0500, Steve Rieger wrote:
>> i meant,
>> i have a box with two nic's, can i put i know that i can put sepereate ips
>> one for each card, but my question is. can i make it that these two i[p's are
>> on different vlans. ie
>>
>> nic1    -   192.168.1.19
>> nic2   -    10.20.2.19
>>

>> they have different gw's (of course)
> maybe you can explain what you are trying to accomplish in the end.
>
> as for assigning different 2 IP's, in different subnets (as you
> have above), to 2 different interfaces, sure. as for different
> vlans, yes. for simplicity, think of a broadcast domain (subnet)
> and a vlan as the same thing. you can do many other things, but i
> think this is what you mean.
>
> now that you have 2 networks on 2 interfaces, this is where my
> question comes into play. which interface is for what? you can't
> have multiple default gateways (or any routes) unless you are
> thinking about per packet load balancing. i deleted your first post
> so i don't know what OS you are running, but multipathing isn't
> supported everywhere. now, you can have different weights on the
> routes, but then again my first question: what is the end goal?
> there are of course tons more options and things one *can* do, but
> we need some more info ;)
>
> cheers,
> okan

On the primary ip (192.168.1.19) apache. Mysql, and ssh listen. The second
ip addy is just so that this server can talk to that subnet. The 192 network
does not have any access to the 10 network, but I would like to have this
server poll various hardware in the 10 network via snmp, that's all

So if I were to ping a host on the 10 network it will go out via the 10 nic
card, and if I were to ping a host on the 192 network it goes out on the 192
nic.

Hope I am making myself clear here.