[nycbug-talk] Fwd: RE: need help asap, will pay, ms vpn client

Mikel King mikel.king
Thu Mar 17 22:57:27 EST 2005

George Georgalis wrote:

>On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 11:10:51PM -0500, Okan Demirmen wrote:
>

>>On Wed 2005.03.16 at 17:45 -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
>>

>>>My preliminary was to do tcp only port forwarding of said ports to a box
>>>behind it running samba. The client is not able to "browse" discover the
>>>share, but if the (gateway) hostname, user and password (samba host)
>>>is specified, the client can mount user homes from the samba server
>>>through the firewall via tcp only (the protocol calls for tcp and udp
>>>137,138,139).
>>>
>>>This means, a roaming windows client can setup (putty) ssh -R tunnels to
>>>a remote gateway which allows for smb connections from localhost to the
>>>private smbserver. So the roaming client can specify, via "netuse" the
>>>gateway as the location of their shares and mount the protected samba
>>>share through the encrypted tunnel.
>>>

>>this may not be much help to your issue, but if are limiting your
>>roaming clients to smb shares, why even use smb? win2k and above,
>>osx, and any unix can do webdav. easy to setup on the samba server.
>>and seemless to the client - looks like a smb share....and all on
>>one port - 80 (and/or 443).
>>

>443/htpasswd/mod_dav is on the gen two plan. I've never build apache2,
>and I can expect some trial and error with both apache2 and mod_dav,
>but I've got a set of other things that don't give me time in the day
>to, well you know, and this is a no mistakes, regulated production
>environment.
>
>Anybody want to demo mod_dav and/or write up a cheat sheet? I spent
>:20 trying to get apache21 to build on DFLY but there is something
>wrong with perl, so I've never had 2.1 up at all...
>
>// George

I've set up dav before, and from what I recall the docs on apache's site
were pretty straight forward, but I do remember there were some missing
elements, I just don't recall if it was to do with php or dav. I'll poll
my notes and see if it merits a DN article, is that a good idea?

--
Cheers,
Mikel King

You may like them. You will see. You may
like them in a tree.
http://www.FreeBSD.org
http://www.OpenOffice.org
http://www.Mozilla.org
How do you spell cooperation? Pessimists use
each other, but optimists help each other.
Collaboration feeds your spirit, while
competition only stokes your ego. You'll
find the best way to get along.