[nycbug-talk] serial console help?

Dave Steinberg dave-dated-1111895296.7cfd74
Sat Mar 19 22:48:12 EST 2005

alex at pilosoft.com wrote:
>>I used a serial diagnostic devices with LEDs and contrasted the output
>>to a working null modem connection, and it told me that (if i'm reading
>>it right) the CD signal (carrier detect) isn't being raised with my
>>adapter.  With the null modem, it seems to work.
>
> Turn off flow-control in your application. You should have options
> "hardware/software (xon/xoff)/none". Choose none.

Just as a follow-up note - that was it.  Thanks for the clue Alex!

I had some funny business, though.  Since I was trying to test on my
home PC where my console is the screen, I thought it was equivelant to
turn on a standard getty process for tty01, and just try and see if I
got a login prompt there.  That never worked - it was only when I
actually booted with the console on the serial port was I able to
communicate via the console server.

In windows I was able to talk to the unit using the standard 9600 8N1 /
no flow setting, but under OpenBSD it only seemed to work if I enabled
hardware flow in /etc/remote (despite hardware flow being off on the
console server).  Both of those test cases were just over plain
hyperterm / tip lines - not the console.

Ah well, that was probably like 6 hours today.  But at least I've got
the wiring diagram right, and oddly enough I had a lot of fun doing it.

Regards,
--
Dave Steinberg
http://www.geekisp.com/