[nycbug-talk] Fwd: Adaptec AAC raid support

pete wright nomadlogic
Mon Mar 21 15:23:42 EST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:04:54 -0500, Marco Scoffier <marco at metm.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 01:15:46PM -0500, Isaac Levy wrote:
> >With that stated, as the dust is settling with this issue- and myself
> >being a bit outside of the daily-use OpenBSD camp, what is everyone
> >going to use for RAID on OpenBSD?  (I'm particularly interested in sata
> >hardware raid...?!?)
> >

> What I wonder is if hardware is really the way to go.  What's the difference in
> overhead btw say a hardware raid5 and putting the card in jbod mode and running
> raidctl.  [ I have not googled this lately ]

I think it probably depends on what you are going to be using your
RAID setup in.  For example on some systems I've worked on where we
have needed high/sustained throughput we actually used a mixture of
hardware RAID and software mirroring/parity management.

The main benefit I see with hardware RAID controllers are Battery
Backup Units and higher through-put with lower overhead, and lower
system utilization when rebuilding disks.  Also, to fully utilize
features of the BBU for example, one needs interact directly with the
SCSI controller.

-p

--
~~o0OO0o~~