[nycbug-talk] Fwd: Adaptec AAC raid support

bruno bruno
Mon Mar 21 16:57:44 EST 2005

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 03:57:28PM -0500, Marco Scoffier wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 03:31:10PM -0500, bruno wrote:
> >If you do need performance software raid is sometimes not enough.
> >
> I was wondering if anyone had numbers on this.  Are we talking +5% cpu
> utilisation and -5% throughput or +20% and -20% or more ??  Searched
> a bit for
> numbers but came up dry.

I don't use numbers and I'm afraid I have none to offer. :) Those are
more for managers. I've seen visible differences between hardware and
software RAID, on both PC-like servers and big SUNs. It is more of a
philosophy, I prefer hardware RAID to software RAID, again if I can
afford it, and so on. There are many situations where software RAID is
just fine. Again, all these situations are pretty specific, and
everything will depend on that and on the environment, type of
application, usage, what people expect from it...

> Wouldn't you want to know this before hawking some hardware vendor's buggy
> proprietary closed-source ware on your sleek efficient less buggy
> everyday open
> source system ?? :)

Yes, of course. I would not run a buggy hardware RAID, but there are
good RAIDs out there. In any case, it is important to do the research
first, to see if hardware RAID is needed or not.

Bruno
--
http://www.loftmail.com