[nycbug-talk] [OT] Office Space

Mikel King mikel.king
Tue Mar 29 20:23:34 EST 2005

alex at pilosoft.com wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Mikel King wrote:
>

>>Well this is generally a tough one, because for your $:sqr ft ratio it
>>isn't going to happen anywhere in Manhattan, I mean not for the above
>>mentioned amenities. You'd be better off dropping your rackable gear
>>into a nice colo like 111 eighth ave, where you'll have you genset
>>backup, huge amounts of bandwidth from every major and several minor
>>carriers and oodles of ac too boot. Then you'll be able to rent yourself
>>a nice dirt cheap flat somewhere else that suits your fancy.
>>

>I wouldn't be so pessimistic. I say, "tough but possible". It all depends
>on details. If this request was about a year ago, we could've shared the
>office space/datacenter at 55 Broad (I have 5000 sqft that I'm currently
>subletting to a proprietary trading firm at mid-teens per sqft -
>unfortunately, I couldn't find any tenant back then).
>
>downtown rents have come down. at my building (55 broad), you can get raw
>space for low 20s per/sqft, and the building is fairly well lit as far as
>carriers go. You won't get the genset though.
>
>-alex

Getting a permit to install a genset is next to impossible now. I mean
after the blackout you'd think things would have loosened up a bit. Yes
I know it was a bit pessimistic but you have to admit it is an awful lot
to ask for the $.

--
Cheers,
Mikel King

You may like them. You will see. You may
like them in a tree.
http://www.FreeBSD.org
http://www.OpenOffice.org
http://www.Mozilla.org
How do you spell cooperation? Pessimists use
each other, but optimists help each other.
Collaboration feeds your spirit, while
competition only stokes your ego. You'll
find the best way to get along.