[nycbug-talk] Sun, Microsoft Red Hat and Open Source

Marc Spitzer mspitzer
Wed Mar 30 16:49:52 EST 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:49:51 -0500, Matthew Terenzio <matt at jobsforge.com> wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2005, at 1:58 PM, Marc Spitzer wrote:
>
> > he did open source Solaris and Staroffice/Openoffice is that not good
> > enough even if he never opensources java?
>
> I'm not arguing for or against Sun or Opening Java up, but one concern
> is fragmentation.
> Gosling has talked about it before.
> Things can be open, but you don't want to have to think, "Will this
> Perl script work the same on Darwin as it does on Red Hat?"

You already do have to, it also happens with java.

> And because of it's semi-openness in the past, it is a concern that
> complete Java openess could lead to one saying, " This works on on IBM
> Java on Linux."
> Many of you know better than I how different flavors of the Java API
> have application server vendors leading their clients down that path of
> lockdown

>From an API stability stand point java seems screwwey.  Every java app
I installed has installed its own version of the jre it was built with
just to be sure it was there, ie to be sure the program worked.

> I totally will not disagree if someone responds and says, "That is open
> source and that is good."

that is an argument for another thread.

marc