[nycbug-talk] got hardware?

George george
Thu May 5 22:22:51 EDT 2005

Okan Demirmen wrote:

>Greetings all.
>
>As you all may know by now, NYI has graciously donated us bandwidth and space.
>We are actively looking for projects in which we, collectively, would like to
>support. See my past mail about any projects you feel you'd like on the list.

As an FYI, there is currently an anoncvs box up from OBSD:

*CVSROOT=anoncvs at anoncvs.nyc.openbsd.org:/cvs*
Located at the New York Internet, NYC, eastern USA.
Maintained by Michael Shalayeff <mailto:mickey at openbsd.org>.
Protocols: rsh, ssh, ssh port 2022, pserver.
Updated every 2 hours.
SSH fingerprints:
(RSA1) 1024 ff:97:fc:34:c6:09:7f:b2:bd:31:4e:d5:51:ce:f3:44
(RSA) 1024 05:ac:be:be:f8:f6:ab:63:5e:80:6c:be:d3:31:41:cd
(DSA) 1024 89:be:38:4d:2a:1b:1a:db:93:65:9d:36:7f:ee:d2:76

>However, we have a small catch-22 ;) We have space, power and bandwidth and
>little to put in there. Wondering if anyone has any machines they'd like to
>donate, solely for the purposes of NYCBUG. The donated servers will go to use
>as our mail/www/firewall/dns/etc services. We have one decent server coming in
>to be used as our main www/sql server and possibly another older one.

One just came into NYI today. . .

>Initially, what we need are 2 medium powered boxes to do some firewalling and
>bandwidth shaping for us. We will be hosting other projects' boxes, so we need
>to control it somewhat. Since space will be at a premium, 1u - 2u boxes would
>be much appreciated. The boxes don't need to be anything new either, just
>something circa 2000. But we won't turn away much ;)
>
>Of course we don't expect anyone to go out and buy anything (unless you really
>really really want to), but we're asking our members if they, or more
>importantly, their employers have anything to donate. We will work with
>whomever to make sure they get credit for their donations (i.e. mentions on
>our website).

We need to open a general discussion on the following:

1.  what other projects, outside of the BSD projects, that we should
provide mirrors or space to, such as FreeSBIE, BSDCertification.org,
something for Daemon News. . . etc.

2.  What services we could/should provide to NYCBUG members, such as
DNS, @nycbug.org mail forwards, etc?

3.  And most importantly, *who* is interested in becoming admins. . . .
a couple should be able to get onsite for hardware issues, others for
remote admin of the services.  As an FYI, NYI people provide awesome
service, real quick response time on tickets, but we don't want to drive
them nuts.  They are already doing us a huge favor, not to mention what
they are doing for the BSD community in general.

4.  Finally, all the projects have been notified about the cabinet.
Christos of NetBSD was at our meeting last night, and we have opened up
discussion with someone from each project.

Big thanks to New York Internet. . .