[nycbug-talk] BSDCan-ikenotes - 'ioctl is soooo 1980s'

Isaac Levy ike
Fri May 20 20:52:05 EDT 2005

More BSDCan ike-notes,

Poul-Henning Kamp was everywhere it seemed, he gave a great
presentation titled 'ioctl is just soooo 1980ies', (slides included a
picture of the A-Team, among other important 80's ideas/ideals).  With
that, he went through a history of the ioctl system call, it's
importance, it's kludginess, and his proposed solutions- which are
closely tied to his other abstraction-type works in GEOM.
Coming soon to a FreeBSD Kernel near you, g_ctl and nmount.  Basically,
to summarize a fairly complicated topic, PHK is trying to abstract
every device, and provide a unified interface through the kernel to
devices.  Cool stuff- can't wait until the dust starts to settle on
this stuff... :)

The lecture slides are here:
http://phk.freebsd.dk/pubs/bsdcan2005_ioctl.pdf

- Personal sidenote, PHK discussed passing text into the kernel, or
even structured text in the form of XML, which piqued the
counter-argument from our own Bob Ippolito- (as I sat in the back
grinning... :)- Bob  and I had been up into the wee hours the night
before, discussing the text/xml vs. binary formatting issue, sparked by
changes to Darwin/OSX metadata files going binary.  Bob argued that the
binary formats, if accompanied by proper tools to construct the binary
data, can have much saner real-world application for critical data i/o
operations in a given program.  I tend to agree with Bob on this one,
citing a recent adventure in hell, implementing the DMOZ xml dump in a
client project- in a nutshell, XML breaks, text parsing breaks, and
it's extremely difficult to focus on what one is *doing* with the data-
whereas things like database dumps and the like at the least help focus
a developer on the actual data, by taking care of the formatting and
presenting focused apis/applications for using the data.

6 of one, half-dozen of the other- this entire arguement is not a new
one.
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch05s01.html

Regardless of the semantics of how it all works out, I'm really exited
to see PHK's replacements for ioctl take off like GEOM has!

Rocket-
.ike