[nycbug-talk] interesting read

alex at pilosoft.com alex
Sat May 21 13:31:16 EDT 2005

On Sat, 21 May 2005, George R. wrote:

> > Frankly, in healthcare, for life-critical applications, there isn't
> > all that much benefit for going with open sores.
> >
> > I'll ask you this: Will you trust your life to an open-source
> > application?
>
> AFAIK, the central system for auto diagnostics is bsd-based.  And if you
> drive on the Deegan at 3 am in the Bronx that would certainly qualify.
Urrr.

a) What do you mean by "central system for auto diagnostics"? OBD-2
interrogator? OBD-2 agent?

b) "bsd-based" is a far cry from open source, as you obviously know. There
are lots of systems that are running on various flavors of unix, which
doesn't make them open source.

c) OBD-2 agent doesn't qualify as life-critical. The worst thing it can do
is to put your car into 'limp home' mode.

-alex