[nycbug-talk] switch

Isaac Levy ike
Thu May 26 12:27:37 EDT 2005

Wordup Michael,

On May 25, 2005, at 12:49 PM, michael wrote:

> We are in the market for a switch to put in a small colo presence.
> Does anyone have any recommendations.  One suggestion made to me was:
> http://www.netgear.com/products/details/GS516T.php
>
> Michael

Quick note to the 'price conscious' switch shopper-

I've had great luck with the netgear stuff in colo, and I'll toss this
in-

Buy 2 smaller switches, instead of 1 larger one if possible- if one
dies, at least you have another right there humming along.

I personally go for a cheap-and-expendable strategy with switches, as I
experienced some mini-hell with very nice switches in the past (Cisco,
high end SMC, et. al...)- SO, seeing as most decent server mboards have
dual nics, I currently run with dual el-cheapo gig-e switches in colo-
banking on the idea that one will die.  So far with this strategy,
(about 6 months in production), not a hiccup from either one.  Also,
for small colo installations, I'm a big fan of staying away from
managed switches- if there's only 1/3 rack of boxen there, it's just
not worth the added complexity, IMHO, from past experiences.

my .02? strategy...

Rocket-
.ike