[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD 6 feel

Charles Sprickman spork
Mon Nov 7 13:56:40 EST 2005

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Isaac Levy wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> After installing FreeBSD 6 on Friday on a box in the office, is it just me,
> or does it feel *wicked fast*?

Here's a quick unscientific benchmark I made the other night:

5.4:

buildworld

real    83m36.159s
user    69m18.570s
sys     15m43.083s

buildkernel

real    25m19.495s
user    22m0.922s
sys     3m59.302s

6.0 kernel, 6.0 world

buildkernel

real    25m9.616s
user    22m6.481s
sys     3m33.770s

buildworld

real    82m19.953s
user    69m5.525s
sys     14m14.403s

That's a dual PIII/1GHz box with a 3Ware 8506-4LP RAID controller (still
GIANT locked, btw).  So it looks like we're getting a little closer to 4.x
speeds.  Maybe 6.1?

Charles