[nycbug-talk] online update

Dru dlavigne6
Tue Nov 8 12:49:06 EST 2005

It's been a while since the slickness of something impressed me, but I'm
impressed.

Those who are interested in keeping desktops up-to-date, check out PC-BSD.
You can download the out-of-date version of the OS here:

http://mirrors.isc.org/pub/pcbsd/0.8/PCBSD-0.8.2-x86-LANG1.iso

Once it's installed, go to Computer->PC-BSD Settings->Online Update

which will automagically upgrade the OS as well as the apps. Since the OS
is involved, it will require a reboot. When you run the program again, it
will upgrade the kernel which will require one other reboot. Entire process
took under 5 minutes over a cable connection.

All in all, your grandmother could install this and keep her system
up-to-date.

Now it's time to try out the package install system...

BTW, the next PC-BSD will be based on FreeBSD 6.0 and is due out in the
next few weeks.

Dru