[nycbug-talk] X on OpenBSD & nycbug.org down

Okan Demirmen okan
Wed Nov 16 15:25:24 EST 2005

On Wed 2005.11.16 at 15:13 -0500, Josh McCormack wrote:
> None of the helpful suggestions have worked so far. I was getting an
> error about the module fbdev not loading, and tried to resolve that by
> adding a libggi package. It uses a Trident Cyberblade. Anyone have any
> success with that?

oh my - you mention fbdev and trident in the same message and it
triggers unhappy memories. my sister oh so generously gave me her old
laptop (thinkpad 1200i - not a real ibm, but some acer look-a-like). it
had a trident chip in there and one had to use the fbdev to get the
thing to even think about starting X. when it did, it wouldn't stick
around for long. evidently, recalling from little research, that chipset
was not well supported my xfree86 back then, and i bet not by the new
xorg either. most of the stuff i remember dead-ended in unresolved
"bugs", "hacks" and "workarounds".

try another OS, just to see what happens, but i'm mostly certain this is
an issue with an old, not-well-supported chipset in X. don't know what
vendors use it today and if support has improved.

good luck...

okan