[nycbug-talk] tracking for multiple machines

Ray Lai nycbug
Thu Nov 17 13:39:01 EST 2005

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 12:03:58PM -0500, Bjorn Nelson wrote:
> NYCBuggers,
>
> I noticed that this page was recently created in the handbook:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/small-lan.html
>
> I have been looking for an official document about this for a while,
> and it's great to finally see one where it should be.  My question,
> is there a way to prevent client machines from running a make
> installworld while a make buildworld is being run on the host
> machine.  I guess I could just touch a file in /usr/src and then
> alter the Makefile on the clients to look for this file, and fail if
> it's present, but I wondered what others have done about this.

For OpenBSD, you can build a release:

	http://openbsd.rt.fm/faq/faq5.html#Release

Then use the siteXX.tgz, install.site, and upgrade.site files to
deploy local changes:

	http://openbsd.rt.fm/faq/faq4.html#site

That should be enough for the base system.  For ports, have a machine
build all the packages you need, then merge them into one giant
package:

	http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=pkg_merge

This will allow you to keep the merged package in the siteXX.tgz
and do ``pkg_add -r mergedpkg.tgz'' in upgrade.site.

I guess this documentation is more scattered in OpenBSD, though.

-Ray-