[nycbug-talk] PostgreSQL

michael lists
Fri Nov 18 12:01:21 EST 2005

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 08:40:00 -0800
pete wright <nomadlogic at gmail.com> wrote:

> wow this looks like good news:
> (specifically the bit re postgre)
> http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2005-11/sunflash.20051117.1.html
>
> So does anyone thing this will help with the portability and overall
> stability of the code, I'd assume having DTrace available and
> supported for the DB has got to help a bit in trouble shooting and
> tuning....
>
> -p

I like using postgresql, it has a long development history and lot of
the qualitites of the commercial databases I've used in the past.  In my
experience, it runs well on the BSD's.. provided you don't put it in a
FreeBSD jail.  The port maintainers do a great job.

I made the emotional transistion from mysql to postgresql as an
opensource database a little while ago. I even ported the NYCBUG web, it
will go into production in the next release: NYCBUG-web-2.1 <grin>

They have pretty good documentation and an active (and helpful)
comuunity on the mailing lists.

Michael