[nycbug-talk] favourite monitoring tools

jeffrey.arnold jba
Tue Nov 22 20:06:43 EST 2005

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, pete wright wrote:

:: On 11/22/05, Dru <dlavigne6 at sympatico.ca> wrote:
:: >
:: > Experiences good/bad with Bigsister, Nagios and Zabbix also appreciated.
:: > The client needs to manage just over 100 systems, a mix of routers, switches
:: > and servers.
:: >

(snip)
::
:: So, I'd give Nagios a +1 despite the some things I'd like to change
:: from a configuration management perspective.  It also seems to full
:: fill all of your prerequisites.
::

I'll second nagios. At my last gig, we had a multi-hundred-thousand
dollar implementation of commercial tools running on solaris that came
with an acquisition. After looking at the situation carefully we still
went with nagios for our systems and network monitoring (120k+ hosts
and ~2k network devices). Nagios did need quite a bit of localized
modifications to scale to the size required, but it was available for
far less and with a much quicker turnaround than it would have taken
with the available commercial tools.

Monitoring 100 systems should be a piece of cake for the stock nagios on
even old hardware. Figuring out your monitoring requirements is going
to be by-far the most time intensive part of any monitoring plan.
Setting up and maintaining nagios is fairly straightforward once you
know what you want to do with the tool.

-jba
__
 [jba at analogue.net] :: analogue.networks.nyc :: http://analogue.net