[nycbug-talk] favourite monitoring tools

Rick Aliwalas rick
Wed Nov 23 10:43:45 EST 2005

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Dru wrote:

> I have a client who is torn between spending $1995 on a commercial monitoring
> package that only installs on Windows or an Open Source solution which will
> run on his FreeBSD servers. His requirements are SMS paging ability (a must)
> and the ability to pay for support or at least access to decent
> documentation. GUI interface that won't scare the other admins is also a
> bonus.
>
> Looking through ports/net-mgmt shows that Nav looks promising on features
> (though lean on documentation other than the mailing lists). Anyone using
> this product? http://metanav.ntnu.no/moin.cgi/
>
> Experiences good/bad with Bigsister, Nagios and Zabbix also appreciated. The
> client needs to manage just over 100 systems, a mix of routers, switches and
> servers.

I'm implmenting Hobbit for a network somewhat the same size as above.
It's easy to configure so far has worked well.  If you're familiar with
Big Brother, the transition is easy.

 	http://hobbitmon.sourceforge.net/

-rick