[nycbug-talk] favourite monitoring tools

Rick Aliwalas rick
Wed Nov 23 11:44:02 EST 2005

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, N.J. Thomas wrote:

> * Rick Aliwalas <rick at cuc.com> [2005-11-23 10:43:45 -0500]:
>>
>> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Dru wrote:
>>
>>> I have a client who is torn between spending $1995 on a commercial
>>> monitoring package that only installs on Windows or an Open Source
>>> solution which will run on his FreeBSD servers.
>>
>> I'm implmenting Hobbit for a network somewhat the same size as above.
>> It's easy to configure so far has worked well.  If you're familiar
>> with Big Brother, the transition is easy.
>>
>> 	http://hobbitmon.sourceforge.net/
>
> The site seems to be down at the moment. Is Hobbit a standalone package
> or does it require BB?

Hobbit is designed to interact nicely w/ an existing BB installation and
scales much better than BB.

The server is standalone and there is a unix client.  No windows
client yet but the BB one works.  The BB add-ons from
http://www.deadcat.net should mostly work as well.

-rick