[nycbug-talk] back to network monitoring tools

George R. george
Sat Nov 26 13:04:52 EST 2005

Regarding the earlier discussion about network monitoring. . .

We are moving along with Nagios for our ~60 or so hosts, but to be
honest, I was initially looking for something a bit less complex.  Maybe
even just a more sophisticated version of the old Uptime project plus
some bells & whistles.

Dru: I really not sure of your needs for monitoring, but sysmon is
certainly a fun little application for the most basic monitoring.

www.sysmon.org

The current version .92.2 is simple to configure, nicely modular and
provides the basics.  It deals with ping, pop, smtp, http and others
with tcp or udp.

Looking at the source for the next version, support is expanded to https
(instead of just doing port 443/tcp), ssh, etc.

As a side note, the developer runs his main host out of a FBSD jail, so
he even addresses the issues of not using icmp or tweaking for icmp out
of a jail:

https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/sysmon-help/2005-August/000131.html