[nycbug-talk] spamd with mail gateway and mailserver

michael lists
Mon Nov 28 12:48:01 EST 2005

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:04:28 -0500
csnyder <chsnyder at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/27/05, michael <lists at genoverly.net> wrote:
>
> > I told the mailserver to listen on submission, opened that
> > server/port in the firewall, and changed my MUA to use the new port
> > and all is well.   *MY* smtp traffic no longer goes thru 25 and
> > does not get sucked into spamd.
>
> But how do you ensure authentication for connections to port 587?
>
> Or could a clever spammer simply bypass your spamd by routing mail
> through the alternate port?
>
> --
> Chris Snyder
> http://chxo.com/

Spammers are clever, no doubt.

On the "gateway", they have to get thru spamd and only mail for legit
accounts is accepted... among many other rules.

The "mailserver" has smtpd_enforce_tls=yes and
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes set, so, spammers would be stopped
there... unless they had an account <grin>.

--

Michael