[nycbug-talk] Another bild problem (Thunderbird 1.0.7)

Okan Demirmen okan
Tue Nov 29 16:10:09 EST 2005

On Tue 2005.11.29 at 16:05 -0500, George Rosamond wrote:
> Okan Demirmen wrote:
> >can i ask a general question:
> >
> >what is freebsd's recommended method of installing applications in the
> >ports tree? via source (ports/ infrastructure) or binary packages
> >(.tgz)?
>
> I have only seen OBSD's Theo say users should use binary packages, but I
> always assumed that this applied to all projects.

yes. i believe the whole openbsd community recommends packages over ports.

> Ports are great for changing config and install options, pkgs are what
> you're meant to use by default.

true or possibly if those config changes are widespread enough, flavors
and subpackages can be generated.

> From that my attitude is use pkgs unless you have to use ports.  You'd
> agree, Okan?

completely. i opt for packages everytime (as well as binary snapshots or
whatever).

okan