[nycbug-talk] Apache, ftp, samba, etc....

Marc Spitzer mspitzer
Sun Oct 2 00:58:46 EDT 2005

On 10/1/05, Francisco Reyes <lists at natserv.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, George R. wrote:
>
> > It's not really a question of jails v non-jails to me. . .
>
> Given that samba can be configured to listen only in certain subnets what
> would be the advantage of jailing the external apps?
>
> To protect in case someone breaks into apache/ftp?

yes.  With a script you can rebuild a jail, including saving all the
data(web site etc), and recover from an incident automatically.  login
to the root box and kick off the script and all is better.  Even if
you are running apps that give you root you only get root in the jail
and your tripwire( or mtree if you want to be bsdish(and who does
not)) should be running out of the main box that has not been
compromised.

marc