[nycbug-talk] SFS: Self-certifying File System

pete wright nomadlogic
Thu Oct 6 13:07:42 EDT 2005

On 10/6/05, Marco Scoffier <marco at metm.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 08:11:58AM -0700, pete wright wrote:
> >
> >I obviously missed the discussion last night, but quickly checking our
> the
> >sfs site it sounds comparable to AFS. was there any discussion on how
> this
> >may be different than AFS?
> >

> Totally different security model. SFS was designed to work over an
> insecure
> network. I believe the SFS codebase is much smaller, AFS has legacy creaks
> and groans in the code.
>
> Have been meaning to set this up for a while. I know the security group
> that David Mazieres heads uses this constantly.
>
> Sorry I'm too busy to be around right now...

execellent, I did a bit of reading up on this after my initial post and it
does seem very interesting indeed. it seems to me that distributed file
systems like this can solve alot of problems with mobile users...so i'll
have to start checking this guy out.

-p

--
~~o0OO0o~~