[nycbug-talk] Net-SNMP

pete wright nomadlogic
Wed Oct 12 13:37:26 EDT 2005

On 10/12/05, Isaac Levy <ike at lesmuug.org> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> I'm re-evaluating SNMP tools (primarily for trapping) right now for
> different deployments, CoLo and local network, and I'd like to settle
> on one to use long-term. Anyone have any recommendations? Loves/
> Hate any in particular?
>
> I'm not interested in a big app which does SNMP trapping, (Nagios/
> NetSaint, Big Brother, etc...), used all that stuff in the past- not
> too exited.
>
> I'm looking for simple shell tools and daemons, with clean, simple
> interfaces. Bells and whistles are just going to be stripped off and
> tossed in the bitbucket...
>
> --
> So far I'm going to try Net-SNMP,

We use net-snmp and it's assortied utilites pretty heavilly here. There is a
wealth of info you can get from snmp, and it can be extended very easilly
via sh/perl and python (although I have yet to write any python-snmp code
here). We are primarilly using our snmp utils in conjunction with nagios,
although that is not say you need nagios to help present the data you can
collect. While I understand not wanting to run nagios, the plugins available
for it may be a good starting point to see how SNMP can be used to gather
system information in general (if you don't mind reading through perl/sh
code ;).

-pete

--
~~o0OO0o~~