[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD in NY Times (Friday)

Brad Schonhorst bschonhorst
Sun Oct 23 12:21:45 EDT 2005

On 10/22/05, Jim Brown <jpb at sixshooter.v6.thrupoint.net> wrote:

> Didn't get a chance to write this yesterday,
> but FreeBSD was mentioned in the Times on Friday, Oct, 21.
>
> Thomas Friedman's column 'Chinese Finding Their Voice'
> mentions how voices in China are now finding an expression
> through a website (Toodou.com <http://Toodou.com>) with podcasts and
> blogs.
>
> "Almost all of the software that runs
> Toodou.com <http://Toodou.com> is from free open-source material on the
> Web:
> an Apache Web server; FreeBSD, a free Unix operating
> system; MySQL, a free database system; and POHP, free
> programming lingo."

Nice to see FreeBSD in the Times! I'm sure this will lead to a few of my
coworkers telling me that BSD stuff I always talk about must be getting
pretty popular :)

Friedman is a pretty forward looking guy- check out his
> book - 'The World is Flat' about the changes in
> business, technology and social structures.

I guess his book is getting quite a bit of attention. I'm on a committee
which organizes an annual conference for technologists in independent
schools. Our keynote speak this year will be discussing this book so we made
it required reading for attendees, hope my copy arrives before the event...