[nycbug-talk] Sysadmin Scripting Training

pete wright nomadlogic
Wed Oct 26 11:16:25 EDT 2005

So I work with a couple guy's who have been doing the Sysadmin thing for a
while. They are well versed in IRIX and Linux support (providing desktop
support, OS install's/upgrades, basic network admin, hardware support,
etc.). Now they have not had any formal CS training, and have done little in
the way of programming (aside from writing loops in thier shell's and quick
one off shell scripts) but want to take their admin skills to the next level
which I think is a great thing. I've been trying to get them to go through
the Camel book, but I think these guy's may be better suited to taking a
more structured approach to learning basic programming/scripting skills.
I've seen this link and have no opinion on it yet (especially since I tend
to fail spectacularly in structured class room environments):

http://oreilly.useractive.com/courses/asac4.php3?course=asac4&partnerid=18

So what do you all think...sysadmin scripting is it a skill that you just
have to teach yourself or are these online training courses worth it? I'm
sure there is at least one person here with an opinion on this ;^)

-pete

--
~~o0OO0o~~
Pete Wright