[nycbug-talk] load balancing

Jesse Callaway jesse
Thu Oct 27 10:53:54 EDT 2005

On Thursday 27 October 2005 10:06 am, Okan Demirmen says:
> On Wed 2005.10.26 at 23:41 -0400, Jesse Callaway wrote:
> > I'm going to make a load balancer for some web servers and I remember cookies being involved the last time. I forget what that was about and don't want to do it again. Is there anything I'm missing with just going for a carp based solution?
>
> depends on what the session requirements are of the application.

unfortunately I don't know much about the web app yet, and this long term session life came into discussion without anyone knowing the specifics. I'll find out today and hopefully be able to figure it all out.
The cookies were injected by the load balancer (serious mangling) and this was how it kept track of what clients were talking to which servers. Seems a bit of an overkill, but if users need to be logged in and the application instances don't communicate through a backend, then this is what the solution can be.

-jesse