[nycbug-talk] disk monitoring tool port, looks usefull

Jonathan Franks jfranks214
Thu Oct 27 20:57:01 EDT 2005

On Oct 24, 2005, at 10:09 PM, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Jonathan Franks wrote:

>> I have a system that's been giving a SMART imminent failure
>> warning for around six years now... I could shut it off in the
>> BIOS but I find it amusing. (It's a non critical machine, obviously)
>>

> Well, the line I'm going with is this...  Generally speaking if
> SMART says it's bad, there's a good chance it is.  However, you
> can't rely on a SMART "everything's fine" message.  Sounds pretty
> grim, but I try to act on the warnings - they are enough to get the
> drive RMA'd if it's under warranty.

Well, I agree, but the machine in question fell victim to what I
presume is a Windows "bug" of sorts that may simply be a piece of
history at this point.... but what I experienced repeatedly at the
time (around 5 or 6 years back) was that if you had a Win NT box
formatted with NTFS, and then for whatever reason decided to format
with FAT32 and load Win9x, the drive would report SMART failure
around 60 percent of the time. If you then fdisked the drive and
tried again, it would disappear and everything would work fine (for a
Windows box anyhow).

It's not really valuable input, and for that I apologize, but I
couldn't help myself when I saw the thread. Anyhow, ever since then i
have viewed SMART warnings with some skepticism....