[nycbug-talk] off site backup

George Georgalis george
Sun Oct 30 12:48:53 EST 2005

On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 08:53:25AM -0800, pete wright wrote:

>this raises an interesting question, for me at least.  I'va had bad
>tapes in the past that I have been able to recover from, minus some
>missing data - but I was still able to dd the archive off the tape for
>testing and eventual recovery.  how do people do this on a drive, when
>say after a year or two of shelf life the disk itself is not spinning
>up or some blocks get curropted?  this is pretty much why I still
>don't trust using an IDE HD based backup solution...heck I'm not even
>sure I'd trust a SCSI HD solution if it was affordable...

I'm going to post a followup to the comments I got
(from a few lists), but for now, my feeling is
disks have better shelf life than any of the media,
some climate control would be reasonable, but I
*think* they would be the most hardy of the bunch,
when turned off. and I like online storage for the
ability to check the backup and easy restores (eg
cost to retrieve).

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org