[nycbug-talk] openbsd in kernel pppoe stability

pete wright nomadlogic
Thu Sep 1 11:04:27 EDT 2005

On 9/1/05, Brad Schonhorst <bschonhorst at vcsnyc.org> wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2005, at 9:51 PM, pete wright wrote:
>
> > hey all,
> >     i've been running my soekris box with openbsd to connect to my
> > dsl router (which is in bridged mode) for my main 'net connect.
> > i've been having *serious* connectivity problems, so bad in fact
> > I've got a cron running every five min's to check my pppoe
> > interface.  if it's down it bring's it back up (does the whole ppp
> > authentication dance).  yuck!  i was assuming that in kernel pppoe
> > would be better than using a userland implementation.  i'm hoping
> > that i'm still correct, my first assumption is that covad sucks and
> > so does my dsl router.  but before i waste a night on the phone
> > with covad, has anyone had any stability issues with 3.7 and in
> > kernel pppoe setups?  i'm using a real vanilia setup...pretty much
> > strait from the man page.  nothing crazy going on in pf land
> > either...some filtering and redirection.....
> >
> > thx
> > -p
> >

> Hmmm.... I've been using a userland ppp setup (also on a soekris box
> openbsd 3.5) for quite some time now and not had any issues...

cool, so I'll roll back to that in a bit and see how we do.

I did some digging in the archives and sure enough there is a recent
patch to -CURRENT addressing the same problem I'm seeing.  Sadly, it
does not look like it's been backported to 3.7.

-p

--
~~o0OO0o~~
Pete Wright