[nycbug-talk] patching ports

Hubert Feyrer hubert
Mon Sep 5 21:44:15 EDT 2005

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005, George Georgalis wrote:
>>> I'm looking at the freebsd porters-handbook but I don't see how to
>>> patch a port. I have a simple patch to apply, but every way I try
>>> it gets over written when the archive is extracted. How do I do
>>> this?
>> make extract
>> Apply the patch.
> make install
>
> ...that worked perfect. thanks a bunch.

I'm not sure I understand what this is about - you want some local patches
applied that are not in the ports tree, and that get applied after
the port's patches and before building?

pkgsrc has a LOCALPATCHES dir for that - after extracting and applying the
patches from (say) www/apache (which is what "make patch" does), it looks
in ${LOCALPATCHES}/www/patches and applies any patches there.

I guess it wouldn't be hard to add that to the ports tree too...
(And I know there's _one_ FreeBSD user out there that would be really glad
to see that... I actually added that to NetBSD after he told me  :-).

  - Hubert