[nycbug-talk] OT: noisy servers

Jerry B. Altzman jbaltz
Mon Sep 12 11:21:13 EDT 2005

hi all

apologies for the off-topic post.

I picked up off of eBay a very nice dual-proc P3 system.
Alas, I did not know the size ahead of time; it turns out to be 26" deep
(by 19" by 1u) and my little cabinet is only 24" deep...so I've got a
very noisy machine (which runs FreeBSD 5.4 like a CHAMP, by the way)
that I'm loathe to use because, well, it's just so damn NOISY.

Does anyone know of any reasonable ways to help dampen the sound?
(I've already tried "turn it off". That works, but is sub-optimal as a
solution.)

Thanks.

//jbaltz
--