[nycbug-talk] Great conference!

George R. george
Sun Sep 18 17:27:50 EDT 2005

On Sep 18, 2005, at 5:06 PM, Trish Lynch wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, Jay Savage wrote:
>

>> Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who made today possible! By far
>> the best reason I've had to suffer the D train on a Saturday in a
>> long
>> time. My only regret is that I didn't get to talk to more people (and
>> that I had other engagements during the postmortem).
>>
>> Congrats to all involved, and many thanks to everyone who helped put
>> it together and everyone who presented. Special thanks, too, to Eric
>> Allman for stepping up at the las minute.
>>
>> -- jay savage
>>

> It was nice coming back into the BSD community and having such a
> warm welcome, its become evident that now is the time to devote
> more time to open source and BSD endeavors specifically, that I'll
> have more free time to do it.
>
> George, Ike, and all the rest of the organizers impressed me with
> thier dedication and hard work, and it looks like a wonderful
> conference will be due for next year as well.
>
> Its about time NYC started to shine in the open source world.
>
> -Trish

Thanks all.

This effort was of many many people. . . and we will be sending out a
followup for all the thank you's and so on soon, including a post-con
survey about your experiences.  Max and Nathan, Mikel and Brad, Eric
Allman for stepping up when Phillip was late, the excellent speakers
who kept to a tight schedule, those who came in from Ohio, Toronto,
Ottawa, San Francisco, Detroit, the Angelos' and others at
Columbia . . . the list is really long, but no one should be left out.

I think it worked out well, despite a number of problems outside of
our control, including the Iraqi president on campus which closed
entry and exit for part of lunch, some running event in Harlem, and a
complete mess with the 1 and 2/3 trains that day.

Michael Lucas stayed by me Saturday night, and was really excited.
He said it was one of the better conferences he has attended.  And to
be honest, a major reason we held the thing in the first place was
because he threatened me at BSDCan about having something in NYC. <g>

Anyway, we'd appreciate comments offline, outside of the survey all
attendees will get, so don't hesitate to send a note to nbc at
nycbug.org.  Please post blogs to the list. . . I only know of this
one from Jay Savage:

http://opensource.weblogsinc.com/

The video/audio should be up online soon, HUGE thanks goes to Max and
Nathan. . . they spent a lot of time working things out so that there
wouldn't be any problems.

One last note, huge credit needs to go to the core of this thing:
Ike, Hans, Okan and especially Michael, who hates *any* credit, but
without whom so little would happen.  He has been an enormous
fundamental in NYCBUG since the first organizing meeting, yet keeps a
lower profile than a live chicken at a KFC factory (and he'll
probably punch me for even saying his name).