[nycbug-talk] Keeping email records with Postfix

Jonathan Vanasco jvanasco
Wed Sep 21 15:56:22 EDT 2005

are you doing this for compliance?  or just for fun?

if its compliance, i'd use an overpriced system.  it saves a lot of
headaches.

if not, coming from an exim world, i've seen the following approaches:

	a_ 	 run servers a and b
			a is what people smtp and imap to
			a takes smtp and relays to b which sends and archives
			b is the mx, archives, then relays to a for delivery to imap boxes
		in this setup, your users only deal with a, and you get offsite
backup (ie , compliance) at b

	b_	run server a
			run a 'filter' on outgoing messages that just saves them to a
similar account dir as the mailstore, but under a different root ( ie
MaildirArchiveSent vs Maildir )
			deliver incoming messages 2x using the 'unseen' directive, once to
the user Maildir, and once to a MaildirArchiveIncoming