[nycbug-talk] Apache, ftp, samba, etc....

George R. george
Mon Sep 26 20:39:13 EDT 2005

Erik Phillips wrote:
> Perhaps someone can help on this project.  I'm trying to intergrate a
> web, ftp, and smb server (all on the same box) into our local network,
> basically the box will be functioning as an internal multi network
> service server (mouthful!!!!)

Yuck.

> Anyway, here are my questions:
> 1. Is there anyway to accomplish this using apache (web server),
> pure-ftp (ftp/sftp server), and samba (smb service)?

Yes, if you are looking for www, ftp and samba.  Am I missing something?

> 2. How difficult will it be to secure these services?
>
> 3. Lastly, would a jail be an option for the smb service?

 From what it sounds like. . . jailing is the way to go.

> I'm going through all my the reference materials (absolute bsd, bsd
> hacks, using samba, the handbook, etc.....) trying to piece together the
> right combination.  Before I continue any further, is this setup even
> possible?
>
> OS=FreeBSD 5.4 box=p4 1.6 with 1.5 gig of memory.
>
> Thanks in advanced,
> -Erik-
>
> --
> http://www.loftmail.com

It's not really a question of jails v non-jails to me. . .

Which services are external, and which are internal?  The immediate
danger to me is that you are looking at two services (www & ftp) that
are probably for external access, and one (smb) that is probably
internal.  Although, you said nothing about this.

IMO, it's a bad idea to combine services that are private and public
like this, except if you are going to do some heavy firewalling, tcp
wrapping, etc.