[nycbug-talk] SATA RAID options under FBSD 4.x

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Sun Aug 13 00:03:49 EDT 2006

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006, Dan Langille wrote:

> On 12 Aug 2006 at 18:33, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> What's out there for somewhat high performance RAID controllers under
>> FreeBSD 4.x?  I've been playing with a 3Ware 9550SX under 6.1 and it's
>> great - blows away our old scsi stuff and is much better than the older
>> 3Ware cards.  But no driver (twa) for 4.x.  Same story with Areca and the
>> LSI SATA RAID cards.
>
> I can also vouch for that 3Ware card:
>
>   http://www.freebsddiary.org/dual-opteron-raptors.php
>   http://www.freebsddiary.org/3ware-9550SX-8LP-cli.php

Nice!  I get an Opteron sometime next week with the 12 port card.  I went
with the multilane connectors/backplane, so hopefully cabling things up
should be tidy - each connector handles four drives.

> And next week, I'll have a NetSaint plugin for that card.

Excellent.  I currently have a little script for these and the adaptecs
that I drop in /usr/local/etc/periodic/daily.  I don't trust running the
adaptec tool more than once a day.  Even that makes me a little nervous.
:)

>> Adaptec is something I'm looking to stay away from.  What else is there?
>>
>> Also...  I noticed the freebsd-scsi list is pretty dead these days.  Is
>> there another list where general scsi/raid questions might get a larger
>> audience?
>
> Is there a particular reason why you can't use 6.1 in this situation?

It's a devel box and all the production boxes are still 4.11.  Also I
found out I can't use most of the modern cards - from what I can see both
the Areca and 3Ware cards only are available in PCI-X/e and the box is old
enough to not have either....

Additionally I have seen some hard lockups on a warm boot with the 3Ware
card.  Disabling ACPI seems to make it happen less often, but 6.1 is
giving me some jitters on this hardware combination.

Thanks,

Charles